Our faculty, staff, coaches and administration educate in a joyful Catholic community of faith, hope and love.
Employees are united in the common mission of preparing our students to be leaders with good hearts and discerning spirits as they pursue truth, academic excellence and service to humanity. We are committed to hiring top-notch faculty, administration, and staff.
We are seeking applicants for the following positions:
- School / College Counselor
- Substitute Teacher
- Head Boys JV Soccer Coach
- Head Girls Varsity Soccer Coach
- Head Football Coach
Saint John’s is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are expected to support and uphold the school’s identity and mission as a Catholic institution.
Saint John’s Catholic Prep is currently seeking candidates for the position of School / College Counselor.
A master's degree or enrollment in a master’s program in School Counseling or the equivalent is required for this position. The qualified candidate possesses strong individual and group counseling skills. Knowledge of the college search and admissions process is required.
The qualified candidate will demonstrate excellent communication, listening, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills. The ability to work in a fast-paced work environment and pivot to address urgent situations is essential. Candidates should be able to work independently and collaboratively with teachers and administration. The school/college counselor will build effective and supportive relationships with students and demonstrate proficiency in mental health challenges facing high school students, as well as the college admissions process.
The School/College Counselor will:
- Meet with students individually to offer short term/solution focused counseling
- Facilitate student groups as needed
- Assist students with the college search, application and admissions process
- Provide programming to students, staff, and parents in the areas of the college admissions process, mental health and wellness, and strategies for academic success
- Consult with mental health professionals in the community
- Support and communicate with parents as appropriate
- Consult with teachers and administrators
- Communicate and collaborate with the Student Support Services team to provide appropriate support to students and members of the school community
- Serve as a member of the school’s crisis intervention team
- Serve as a member of school’s Academic Council committee
References to be provided upon request.
Saint John’s Catholic Prep is searching for caring professionals to serve as substitute teachers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the regular teacher in a given day
- Follows lesson plans provided by classroom teacher to facilitate appropriate learning experiences for students
- Maintains appropriate records in the absence of the teacher
- Supervises students in a variety of school-related settings
- Ensures all materials are read and prepared for instruction
- Monitors student outcomes
- Maintains appropriate records in the absence of the teacher and follows required procedures and practices
- Monitors appropriate use and care of equipment, materials and facilities
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with students, parents, colleagues, and administrators as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 60 credits of college coursework from an accredited institution
- Clean background check which includes fingerprinting
- Previous teaching experience in a professional setting preferred
- Positive, creative, solution-oriented person
- An understanding and commitment to Saint John’s mission to educate in a joyful Catholic community of faith, hope and love, while preparing our students to be leaders with good hearts and discerning spirits as they pursue truth, academic excellence and service to humanity.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for education, previous experience with secondary school aged children, and a comfort level working in an educational environment. While independent school experience is preferred, it is not required.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to Jill Seaman, Assistant Head of School at email@example.com.
Saint John’s Catholic Prep is seeking a dynamic and enthusiastic Junior Varsity Boys Soccer coach for the 2023-2024 academic year. This is an immediate opening and would start as soon as possible. SJCP plays in the MIAA C Conference in soccer. Coaches need to be available between 3:00 pm and 6:00 pm each day 5 days a week. Game times are generally between 4:00 and 7:00pm.
Before the Season
- Helps Varsity Coach organize a pre-season meeting with the complete soccer staff, players and families.
- Ensures equipment and facilities are used appropriately
- Organizes and supervises players during athletic practices, including riding the bus to away games.
- Plans practice sessions prior to practice with the idea of player development and inclusion for all levels.
- Attends All Athletic Department and League scheduled meetings when applicable.
End of Season:
- Collects all school equipment/uniforms from the team.
- Offer off-season workouts, including but not limited to, strength and conditioning for players. Ensuring that the offerings are scheduled around other in-season sports.
- Assist with the recruitment process of our student-athletes.
- Successful high school coaching and/or club coaching experience is preferred. Head coaching experience is strongly preferred.
- Valid driver’s license required/passing fingerprinting/background check
- Experience in developing soccer players
Saint John’s Catholic Prep Athletic Department is looking to hire a qualified head coach for our Varsity Girls Soccer program. This vacancy is for the 2024-25 school year. This is a part-time, seasonal position, paid through a stipend and is not benefit eligible. Potential teaching positions may be available. The person in this role will be working with student athletes in an environment where academic expectations are high.
As a 9-12th grade co-ed community, SJCP offers many exciting advantages. Just miles from Frederick, our modern campus is situated in Buckeystown on beautiful, wooded acreage. Our Soccer teams play in Warner Stadium, a turf field facility opened in the fall of 2022.
At SJCP, athletics are at the core of a balanced educational experience and hold equal footing with academics and the arts in the overall development of our future global citizens. We believe our pillars of Faith, Leadership, Scholarship, Honor and Service are acutely learned and honed through teamwork and athletic competition.
The 17 different interscholastic programs are formed according to ability, and most programs include varsity and junior varsity squads. Varsity teams strive to compete at the highest levels while emphasizing sportsmanship and teamwork. At the junior varsity level, success in competition is encouraged, while skill building, and participation are the primary goals.
Our Girls teams compete in the 29-member Interscholastic Athletic Association of Maryland (IAAM).
- Guide the personal development of each student-athlete on the roster.
- Organize, communicate, and execute daily practice plans.
- Communicate weekly schedules to parents.
- Support athletes in the college recruiting process.
- Meet with the AD weekly and at the beginning and end of every season.
- Prepare and condition athletes.
- Lead game day equipment preparations and set up.
- Coordinate with Athletics to create social media content.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College degree preferred.
- Coaching and playing experience preferred.
- Willingness to attend professional development workshops.
In striving to fulfill its mission, SJCP seeks many different voices, viewpoints, and backgrounds of candidates who embody our pillars of Faith, Leadership, Scholarship, Honor and Service. We recognize that differences are a source of strength, and we know that everyone is enriched when each person's contributions and perspectives are valued.
To apply please submit your resume and cover letter to Stu Wilson, Director of Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saint John’s Catholic Prep is seeking a head varsity football coach for the 2024-25 school year. As a member of the MIAA, Saint John’s Catholic Prep has a rich academic and athletic tradition and is deeply committed to helping our boys develop into leaders in service to others dating back to the school’s founding in 1829. We are seeking a coach who will facilitate our continued pursuit of excellence in football and academics. Academics and athletics combine with the arts, and spiritual life, fulfilling the “whole person” experience we cherish. In that vein, the head football coach plays a vital role in the intentional character development of each athlete while establishing a highly competitive, positive, and inclusive culture for the entire football program. The head coach will build within the program, and demonstrate in his actions, the qualities embodied by the vision and mission of Saint John’s Catholic Prep.
Specific characteristics, duties, and responsibilities:
- Is a positive leader of the entire football program developing a plan to integrate fundamental teaching at all levels. The coach will build the athletes up emotionally, physically, socially, and spiritually.
- Encourages a sense of belonging for all athletes who are a part of the program through building relationships with and among the athletes.
- Understands the academic responsibilities of the athletes and follows their progress as students.
- Communicates and collaborates with others in and outside of the Saint John’s Catholic Prep community in support of the athletes’ growth.
- Explicitly develops a method of teaching values and character to the athletes.
- Values a meritocracy and builds a belief among athletes that achievement comes through hard work and teamwork.
- Has a deep understanding of all aspects of football from a tactical, learning, and best practices perspective, one that will result in sustained competitive excellence.
- Values strength & conditioning, nutrition, and playing multiple sports in helping the athletes to realize their full potential as athletes.
- Builds relationships with member schools in our league. Is seen as a leader among this group with respect to a collaborative effort to make the league stronger.
- Understands the MIAA and B Conference policies and rules and supports the implementation of those policies and rules.
- Is expected to work in partnership with the admissions office to communicate to prospective students and families the values and ideals of the entire Saint John’s Catholic Prep community.
- Can support players’ transitions to college, inclusive of establishing relationships with college and university programs in support of the recruiting process.
- Is a reflective learner desiring to continually grow and learn through various means of professional development.
- Will supervise assistant coaches in support of their professional development.
- Develops opportunities for the athletes to be involved in community service.
- Develops and runs a summer football camp on campus.
- Please apply by sending a letter of application with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- All questions can also be directed to Stu Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Review of applications submitted will begin by January 22, with acceptance closing on February 4, 2024.
- Pay will be competitive and relative to experience and responsibilities assumed upon employment.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Leadership experience within a competitive program
- Strong organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of the nature of college preparatory school
- Master’s degree
- Teacher of an academic class
- Ability to hold a teaching position to reach full-time status (Potential openings)
- Demonstrated success in a high school setting
About Saint John’s Catholic Prep
Saint John's Catholic Prep (formerly known as St. John's Literary Institution) is a private, Roman Catholic, coeducational, college preparatory high school in Buckeystown, Maryland, located just southwest of Frederick City. At the time of its founding in 1829, it was located on Second Street in eastern downtown Frederick. Beginning in 1958 and for 45 years thereafter, the school was housed in the historic "Prospect Hall" mansion, (1787–1803), also just southwest of Frederick. St. John's was the first independent Roman Catholic school in the state of Maryland. It was also the first Roman Catholic secondary school in the state of Maryland.
Frederick's Premier College Prep High School - Educating in a joyful Catholic community of faith, hope, and love, Saint John's Catholic Preparatory School prepares our students to be leaders with good hearts and discerning spirits as they pursue truth, academic excellence, and service to humanity.
Saint John’s has a state-of-the-art turf field/stadium located behind the school with a 400-seat grandstand, lights, and a press box.
Saint John’s is an equal-opportunity employer. All employees are expected to support and uphold the school’s identity and mission as a Catholic institution.
Saint John’s Catholic Prep is a coeducational independent catholic college preparatory school located in Frederick County, MD. Approximately 300 students occupy the campus.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a résumé, cover letter, and list of references to Stu Wilson, Director of Athletics, at email@example.com.